The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST)
What is TRUST?
The law requires that all recreational flyers pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test and provide proof of passage if asked by law enforcement or FAA personnel. The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST) was developed to meet this requirement.
TRUST provides education and testing on important safety and regulatory information. If you fly your drone recreationally under the Exception for Recreational Flyers, you must pass the test before you fly.
TRUST was developed in collaboration with drone stakeholders to determine content, and how it would be administered. Since June 2021, we have worked with a group of approved Test Administrators to provide TRUST as an online test. We in the FAA provide the TRUST content to the approved test administrators who, in turn, provide the online test to you, the recreational flyer.
Before you fly your drone
Note: If your drone weighs more than .55 pounds (lbs), you must register your drone through the FAA’s Drone Zone.
To fly your drone as a recreational flyer, it’s as easy as 1-2-3
- Understand recreational flying requirements
- Take TRUST
- You may take the free online test through any of the FAA approved test administrators.
- All FAA-approved TRUST test administrators offer the test free.
- All test questions are correctable to 100% prior to issuing your completion certificate.
- After completing TRUST, you’ll need to download, save or print your completion certificate.
- If you lose your certificate, you will need to re-take TRUST.
- View a list of TRUST Test Administrators
- Receive your certificate
- After you pass the test, you will receive a certificate from the test administrator you selected.
- Test administrators will not keep a record of your certificate. You must present a copy of your certificate if asked by law enforcement officers.